Dr Peter J. Bussey
School of Physics and Astronomy
University of Glasgow
Degrees and other qualifications: M.A. (Cambridge), Ph.D. (Cambridge),
Sc.D. (Cambridge), C.Phys., F.Inst.P.
I joined Glasgow in 1971 having previously been at Cambridge
University, CERN and Sheffield University.
ZEUS Experiment at DESY, Hamburg
(tel. +49 40 8998 3259) where I lead the Glasgow group,
in collaboration with UK groups from
Bristol, Imperial College (London), Oxford, the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
and University College, London.
CDF Experiment at Fermilab, Chicago, USA
(tel. +1 630 840 2524/2943)
in collaboration with UK groups from Liverpool, Oxford and
University College, London.
I am currently working with the following international collaborations:
ATLAS experiment at the LHC, CERN.
In addition to general participation
in the group's activities, I am a member of the
ATLAS-FP Project which hopes to install new downstream detectors to
study diffractive and photon-photon processes.
These are international collaborations which include many other institutions
I have now retired from teaching students but continue to participate in research activities.
The Glasgow group in ZEUS has concentrated on studies of hard
high energy photoproduction, and properties of final states in
Deep Inelastic Scattering Processes. Since 1995 I have led a programme
of study into ``prompt'' photons in photoproduction,
in which a photon emerges at high energy, radiated off a quark which
takes part in the basic scattering process.
The Glasgow CDF group has joined a programme of research
into mesons containing the b quark, produced in high energy proton-antiproton
We produced the first accurate determination
of the mass of the Bc meson
(see Fermilab Today article).
We have been engaged on a search for the Higgs boson in its
WW decay mode into two high energy leptons.
I worked with the Beams Division at Fermilab during 2001 with the goal
of improving the antiproton yields in the Tevatron and hence the
luminosity and discovery potential of the experiments.
I am also a member of the ATLAS-FP group, whose hope is to install
forward detector systems in ATLAS at the LHC, which will provide
a new way of observing exclusively produced heavy objects.
1997-99: Finance Officer for the ZEUS group and member of the
ZEUS Planning Group.
1999-2000: physics coordinator of the QCD (Hadronic Final States) group
My publications in physics since 1976
Recent conference talks etc.
- Max Born Symposium (Wroclaw, PL, 1997):
Quantum events and a possible granularity in time.
- Oxford-Japan meeting on HERA physics (Oxford, June 1998):
Jet Physics at HERA.
- Workshop on photon interactions and the photon structure (Lund, S, 1998):
Physics with two photons at HERA.
- Phenomenology Workshop on HERA Physics (Durham, 1998):
Prompt photon production.
- Physics in Collision (Ann Arbor, USA, 1999):
Photoproduction at low Q^2.
- XXXV Rencontre de Moriond (Les Arcs, F, 2000):
Deeply virtual Compton scattering and prompt photons at HERA.
- International Workshop on Skewed Parton Distributions and Lepton-Nucleon
Scattering (Hamburg, 2000):
Deeply virtual Compton scattering at ZEUS.
- Phenomenology Workshop on Heavy Flavour and CP Violation (Durham, 2000):
(i) Charmonium production at HERA; (ii) Open heavy flavour
production at HERA.}
- 10th International Workshop, DIS 2001 (Bologna, Italy):
Prompt photons in photoproduction at HERA.
XVI International Conference on Particles and Nuclei PANIC'02 (Osaka, 2002):
(i) Jet physics at HERA (ii)
Heavy flavour physics at HERA
- PHOTON 2003 (Frascati, Italy 2003):
(i) Virtual photon structure at HERA.
Inclusive jets and alpha-s at HERA.
- Israel Science Foundation Research Workshop (Rehovot, Israel, 2003)
Charm production at the Tevatron.
- Workshop on Heavy Flavour Physics (Royal Society of Edinburgh, 2004)
Heavy flavour physics at hadron colliders.
- 12th International Workshop, DIS2004 (Strbske Pleso, Slovakia, 2004):
Charm and Beauty production at CDF.
- IOP HEPP Conference, Dublin 2005
Measurement of the mass of the B_c meson at CDF.
- 12th High Energy Conference on Quantum Chromodynamcs, QCD2005 (Montpellier, France, 2005):
Hadronic Final States at HERA.
``The future of forward physics at LHC'', Workshop, Manchester 2005:
Simulation of acceptance and resolution.
- 33rd International Conference on High Energy Physics, (Moscow, 2006):
Vector-vector Bd and Bs decays at CDF.
- ``Physics with FP420'', Workshop, Manchester 2006:
Latest on alignment and calibration.
- Faraday Institute, Cambridge, course on "Physics and God" (May 2007):
Physical Infinities - a substitute for God?
- Photon 2007 Conference (Paris, 2007):
High-ET jets in photoproduction, with implications regarding photon structure.
- ``Forward physics at LHC'', Workshop, Manchester 2007:
Optics, Acceptance and Mass Resolution.
Latest lecture courses given
- Atomic Physics - P4
- Dynamics - P5
- Electrostatics - EE1
- The Outer Planets - ExCos
- Musical Acoustics